The 1895 Randolph Manufacturing Company was one of Randolph County’s most visually impressive Victorian mills.
This view, taken from the hilltop front yard of the Dave Weatherly House, shows the north front of the factory.
The plan of the building is that of a block-E, where the center cross is the stair tower and the top and bottom lines are wings that extend over the head race on brick arches.
The Wheel House is that of the original Island Ford factory, located under the smokestack to the far left.
One of the most interesting features of the factory is the wooden bridge over the race to the main stair tower entrance.
The body of water directly in front of the mill is the “Bleacher Pond,” providing water for bleaching, printing and dyeing processes.
The aerial photo below, taken in the 1950s, shows the factory after numerous 20th-century additions. The stair tower has been removed, and the entire hollow center of the “E” has been filled in. An expanded weave room extends west to the steel bridge; the bleachery, print works, fleece napping, and sanforizing process are contained in the new wings to the east that replaced the old cotton warehouse.
Only the 1950s-era wings east of the smokestack survived the 1984/85 demolition of the rest of the building.